If you have been an internet marketer for a while or had any type of online business, you will no doubt have heard the expression, the money is in the list! So what does this mean? Basically, with an online business, your customers come from far and wide to visit your website. Ideally, you need them to register their email address with your site so that you can send them the latest news special offers, sales alerts and other valuable advice from time to time. So, in reality, your list is your very important customer list that becomes your biggest business asset. Without a list, you have no customers. It took me a while to fully appreciate this fact. My only regret now is that I didn’t start list building sooner.
There are many different ways to build an opt-in list. By definition, the opt-in list is a collection of email names and addresses from customers signing up to your website offer. The type of business model you have chosen will determine which method of list building is more suitable to you. With that in mind, I have decided to share seven of the most powerful strategies to build a targeted opt-in list.
So without further ado, here are ten tips for building your opt-in list, in no particular order:
1) Free Report, mp3 recording, webinar replay, video - Offering a free report or video recording, audio recording from your website is one of the most common, and effective ways to start building an opt-in list. It is also one of the best strategies for building your list. How does it work?
Pack your report/video/audio recording full of useful information, free resources, tips, tools, and anything else your subscriber list will be interested in. Also, be sure to make it fun and presentable in an easy to understand format. Then your subscribers will enjoy it and get to know you at the same time.
2) Make It Easy to Subscribe - To maximize your free report/video/audio sign-ups, you must also have a quick and easy way for people to subscribe to it. The best way to do this is to put an opt-in form on the top part of the right hand column of your websites home page, and all other pages, if possible.
Put a quick sentence or two telling them why your report would benefit them (i.e. freebies, tips, tools, etc.) then have a way for them to add their email address and name below it. This opt-in form will bring in a lot of your subscriber list.
3) Quality Content - Packing your website full of great content will bring in a lot of visitors. Many of these visitors will want to visit again and will subscribe to your report/video/audio recording. Your list will grow naturally and so will your search engine rankings, which, in turn will bring more visitors who can join your list. It will eventually turn into a list building, productive cycle.
4) Market your unique website. Use blog directories, rss directories, social networking, offline search engine optimization and other marketing tactics to drive traffic to your blog and build a bigger, stronger readership.
5) Forums - There are literally thousands of forums and discussion boards on the internet where people go to discuss all sorts of things and ask questions. All you have to do is find forums related to your particular business and participate in the discussion. An easy way to find these forums is by searching google for ‘forums:golfing’ for example, and this will generate a list of golfing websites that have a forum or chat room dedicated to that topic. Easy, isn’t it? You can join various forums and register your details. Then, when you come across a thread or post that you know you can make a valuable contribution to, do join in the conversation and respond to the post.
Most of the forums allow you to put a signature line under your post, which is where you can put a link back to your website, or any other special offer that you are promoting. One rule you absolutely must follow is not to spam the forums in any way. Make absolutely certain you offer legitimate posts, with useful information, or you will ruin your online reputation and the moderator might cancel your membership.
5) Write Articles - This is a great method of establishing yourself as an expert in your field and getting inbound links to your site. If you are not confident about writing articles, you can also pay someone to write for you or you can buy plr articles and edit them to suit. Article marketing is very effective for building your opt-in list. All you have to do it put a link to your website/special offer in the byline of the article and submit the article to websites, directories, and ezines. One of the best ezines to start with is ezine articles. Just remember to have your article published here first before you submit the article to other directory services, lest you be accused of having duplicate content.
6) Market your articles. Use article directories, rss directories, social networking, offline search engine optimization and other marketing tactics to drive more traffic to your website.
I am of the opinion that article marketing is one of the best ways to build your list as readers already see you as a subject matter expert. They will think of you as a knowledgeable individual and someone they can trust before they decide to join your list. Profits will roll in much faster from these subscribers.
7) Write an E-book - Internet marketers are always looking for freebies to give away on their websites, as a bonus, or to send to their lists. This is a great opportunity for you to help build your own list. All you have to do is write an e-book and let other internet marketers give it away to their list.
The e-book doesn’t have to be perfect, you can just make it a collection of your best articles, business tips, and business resources. Of course, you must put links to your website. Then, give it away, and watch it turn into a viral list building machine.
Yet another variation to this strategy to visit a site like viralebooks.com that provides you with ebooks to rebrand and publish as your own. By doing it this way, you don’t have to do the writing at all!
8) Market your E-book. Encourage your subscribers fill in the names and email addresses of 3 of their internet friends before you send them the free e-book. Another variation of this plan is for each subscriber to tweet your special offer to their twitter friends, in return for the free e-book.
9) Pay for it! Some marketers will happily publish your special offer to their list, for a fee. Some will even introduce you to their joint venture (jv) buddies, thereby creating a wider circle of influence. Quite often there are bonanza sales being organised by a group of internet marketers. If an offer of this kind happens to pass your desk, join up and build your list.
10) Advertise! – Did you know that you can pay for advertising space in some ezines and websites? For a small fee you can advertise your website for a period of time and drive visitors to your site.
And there you have it, ten powerful strategies that are sure to build your opt-in list. Putting these list building strategies into action as soon as possible will quickly increase your list numbers, and increase your profits, more than you could have ever imagined.